Finding Addiction Treatment Centers That Accept Marchman Act

In a perfect world, drug and alcohol addiction sufferers would realize the error of their ways and seek help. They would do so voluntarily and walk into a local rehab where they could get the treatment they need. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. We live in a world where most addiction sufferers refuse to believe they have a problem.

If they don’t believe they have a problem, they would have no reason to even consider getting treatment. Of course, things often look different to loved ones who get stuck having to watch someone they love toil away under the influence of some dangerous substance. For these folks, watching the damage being caused by drugs or alcohol is painful and frustrating. If things start getting too out of control, it’s incumbent on loved ones to step in and do whatever they can to save their addiction suffering relative or friend. In the state of Florida, there is a way loved ones can step in and force a reluctant loved one to get treatment.

This way is called the “Hal S. Marchman Alcohol and Other Drug Services Act of 1993”. Under the guidelines of the law, relatives can apply to have their addicted loved one committed into treatment under the following circumstances: their loved one has clearly lost the ability to control their addictive behaviors, and either of the following: is in danger of inflicting harm on themselves or others / does not have the capacity to understand the nature of and danger behind their addictive behavior.

If a relative can provide the support that these conditions exist, they can apply to the Florida court system to have their loved one committed to a treatment facility. It’s important to remember that a relative will be asking a judge to deny their loved one of the loved one’s constitutional rights for a short period. In order to do that, the judge is going to want to see solid evidence and an application that is filled out properly. That is why it’s usually best for the concerned family member(s) to hire an attorney to handle the process.

Once the judge gives approval for the involuntary commitment, time will need to be invested to find a facility that will hold a client under the Hal S. Marchman Alcohol and Other Drug Services Act. Remember, this is not considered imprisonment but instead more like temporary confinement. With that said, not all rehabs are set up to accept clients who are coming in for treatment under involuntary circumstances.

Finding Addiction Treatment Centers That Accept Marchman Act

Most if not all addiction treatment professionals would strongly prefer to be treating clients who are there because they want help. The fact is it takes a bit of specialized training to treat clients who could be a bit adversarial. Since some rehabs lack the resources to treat clients who come in under the Marchman Act, someone needs to find a facility that is able to handle such a set of circumstances. That responsibility will fall on the petitioners. If you are taking part in trying to find a facility the will accept your loved one under the Marchman Act, you will have three options:

  • Get a referral from the presiding court
  • Get a referral from Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF)
  • Contact facilities in the Florida area in which you live

You will need to focus on the following two factors.

Security and Safety

Clients who enter rehab voluntarily can leave when they want. Clients who enter rehab under the Marchman Act are confined to the facility until treatment has been completed. You will want to seek out a treatment facility that maintains a high level of security and safety to keep your loved one from fleeing treatment.

Treatment Professionals Trained to Handle Involuntary Clients

As we indicated above, involuntary clients will require extra patience and scrutiny from their therapists. You will want to select a rehab facility that employs treatment professionals who have the training and experience with these types of clients. We hope you find this information useful. We want to inform you that we do have the ability and resources to treat clients under the Marchman Act. We would also be willing to do that on your behalf. If you are interested in learning more about the Marchman Act, our services, and our facility, please pick up the phone and call us at 833-497-3808.